What are Back Links in SEO?
Back Link is the process of linking our main keyword on any page back to the targeted page on our main URL. Linking is the process of connecting our valuable content’s URL to other valuable content. The word link itself explains the linking of any page (this page may or may not be from the external source) back to my web page.
Purpose of Back links in SEO
The only purpose of Back links is to achieve easy navigation for more visibility. It acts in two manner:
Visibility to Audience
We all know that the internet is full of websites and our website is one of them. It is quite obvious that visitors visiting our websites must be surfing millions of other websites regularly.
Now let’s assume that, If at any stage or point they found any link valuable to their approach that link is likely to get a hit by that person. If that link is linked to your website it will result in a successful conversion. By posting our link on other relevant pages we are creating a scope for our potential audience to visit our web page.
Visibility to Bots
As we are well aware about the working of Bots that they moves from one link to another for do-follow and do-index links. The Meta tag for this is like <meta name=”robots” content=”index, follow” />. If while roaming these bots crawl any page where they find our back link they will navigate to our web page too and hence our web page gain popularity in search engines.
Meta Robots tag
This tag helps you to specify the way your website will be crawled by the search engine. There are 4 types of Meta Robots Tag.
- Index, Follow – The search engine robots will start crawling your website from the main/index page and then will continue to the rest of the pages.
- Index, No Follow – The search engine robots will start crawling your website from the main/index page and then will NOT continue to the rest of the pages.
- No Index, Follow – The search engine robots will skip the main/index page, but will crawl the rest of the pages.
- No Index, No Follow – None of your pages will be crawled by the robot and your website will not be indexes by the search engines.
Types of Back links
Based on domain association these back links are divided in two types:
If keyword of any page is hyperlinked to a page under the same domain name it is known as internal linking, example: If hyperlink of http://www.anysite.com/any-page.ext is linked to http://www.anysite.com/other-page.ext.
Internal linking is a part of on page optimization.
If keyword of any page is hyperlinked to a page under the same other domain name it is known as external linking, example: If hyperlink of http://www.anysite.com/any-page.ext is linked to http://www.othersite.com/any-page.ext
These external backlinks are further divided into two parts. These can be one way linking where first page is linked to second page in but second page is not linked to first means user or bot can travel in single direction or reciprocal linking where first page is linked to second and second page is hyperlinked to first. For better results always prefer one way linking
External linking is a part of off page optimization.
Inbound links or Back links:
Inbound links or more commonly known as Actual BACK LINKS and are the links from external domains or websites to my website. Earlier the purpose of In-bound link was to collect Link Juice (The potential value from any URL) from high PR (Page Rank is the value offered by the Google to any page between 0 to 10, this algorithm was named after Larry Page founder of Google who also invented this algorithm but now a days google is no longer using it for ranking) pages.
Must consider before creating quality Back links
- Content Relevancy: While creating back links the first step is to find the pages with the relevant content to your page. Relevant pages are the pages with similar content to your page. If we create Back link on such pages, search engines offers high value to our back link.
- Indexed: Always select resources those are already indexed by the Google.
- Unique IP: Search engines always values back links from different IPs so rather creating back links on single IP try to create multiple links on different IPs
- Page Rank: Since page rank was one of the important factor for google ranking in past, even today we got some extra value from the back links on high PR pages
- OBL: Out bound link are the number of external links on the page we had chosen for our Back links. Lower the number of OBL higher the value from that back links.
- BND: Bad neighborhood is the most important factor for proper Back link. If the chosen page contains words like porn, Viagra, Kamagra, escort etc it’s not safe for our back link, just keep away else Google can even penalize your website.
This Link Wheel is a combination of various Off-Page activities for Link building. It is a complex combination of Business Listing, Directories, Blogs, and Search Submission. By interlinking all the Back links pages we boost all URL potential in search engines. Direct or In-direct linking creates a relevant network and thus boast our position in organic ranking.
Outbound links are the links from our domain or websites to other website. Linking to trusted websites like websites with https protocol and having “gov” and “ac.in” extension also values for you.
Back link Resources
We have various types of website where we can submit our website’s back link. The major categories are:
- Article Submission
- Business Reviews
- Classifieds Submission
- Directory Submission
- Document Sharing
- Forum Postings
- Link Baiting
- Link Exchange
- Local Listings & Yellow Pages
- Photo Sharing
- Press Release Promotion
- Search Engine Submission
- Social Bookmarking
- Social Networking Sites
- Video Promotions
Tips and Myths for Back link Generation
- Always use Title in the hyperlink example <a href=”http://www.google.com” title=”the best search engine”>Google – The Search Engine</a>
- Outbound links offers you value only if they are redirected to authorize websites or domains.
- Try to keep outbound links as low as possible.
- Try to keep hyperlinks less than 100 per page.
- When a link incorporates a keyword into the text of the hyperlink, we call this anchor text.
- Make sure it’s DO FOLLOW When link building, make sure that the links are do follow, otherwise, they won’t count.
- Building links to boost your search engine ranking is not a question of quantity but of quality.
Tools to find back link of competitor
- http://www.backlinkwatch.com Backlink watch
- https://www.semrush.com Semrush
- https://www.seoprofiler.com SEO Profiler
Disavow Tools for Back link removal in google
If in case you find some irrelevant link spamming your reputation and ranking in google you can appeal for removal using this tool. The official URL to disavow is: https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/disavow-links-main